Monday, January 21, 2013

When I Grow Up

It's been two months, two wonderful, hectic, joyful, crazy months. Between hosting Thanksgiving dinner, Christmas events, planning our wedding, getting married, and honeymooning, I haven't had a single moment to think let alone write any updates. You know how they say when you're pregnant you get 'pregnancy brain'? I'm not pregnant, but I think I might know what that feels like now. You'll have to ask fiance husband  about my complete lack of a brain since about mid November...

Moving on, I have a lot planned for this year and I now have the time to do it too! I'm not big on resolutions, I'm big on setting little goals that I know I will accomplish. This list is neither. It's my 'big picture'.  With no further ado, here's what's goin' down in my world this year:


  • Blog: I LOVE reading blogs. They're like magazines but way better because you get a new issue everyday!  I by no means want to copy my favorites (like Young House Love, I Heart Organizing, and Our Fifth House) but I've decided to head in that same home improvement, interior decorating, DIY direction. It's just makes the most sense because it is what I'm most passionate about. I'll still be writing occasionally about running, nutrition, and other random life events too if that's what you're into. I'm here to please!
  • Interior Decorating and Design: In November and December I hosted a few parties and people started asking why I didn't go into interior decorating for a living. There are a few reasons. I tried once a long time ago while I was in between jobs and just couldn't drum up enough business to make a living off of it. I also have never had much money to put into advertising. I work a full time job, and I have no formal design education. I let that dream slip away for a while, but I feel it's something I need to revisit now. I've been working for a remodeling company for almost 2 years now and I've learned a ton about advertising, networking, and design work. I still need to decide on what services I'll offer and pricing, but if you're interested in hiring me for any decorating, designing, or organizing project or know someone who is, please contact me!
  • The House: This week, I plan to write up a list of my top 2-4 projects for each room in our house. We love our house and don't want to move anytime soon, but the reality is that the houses in the neighborhood I live in don't sell for much. Luckily I didn't pay much for the house to begin with. Still, we're pretty close to breaking even as it is, so I/we will be working on many no cost or low cost projects in the house. I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat, so hopefully so of our project ideas will help you get the most out of your home and spend the least amount of money to get there.
  • Reading and Writing: I know it sounds totally crazy, at least it does to me, but I love and idea I've had for a young adult novel. I have a lot of notes floating around on Google Drive but I haven't set out to get any part of the story written out yet. Partially because I take on too many projects at once, partially because I feel way inexperienced in this area. I hardly even read. I love the idea of reading, but when it comes down to it, it's rare that I finish a book. So I also want to commit to reading more and writing more in the future.
There you have it, my big goals. I'm not quite sure what the end goal even is. I suppose I'd ideally like to be a work from home interior designer and author. I'm open to whatever opportunity comes up! And just because I know ya'll like to look at pictures when you read posts, here's a few from the wedding, honeymoon, and the first big change to our house.

Groom and Bride (Taken by Oijoy Photo - who I HIGHLY recommend!)


Warm fire on a cool night, and a happy song from a mariachi band in Old Town. (Sorry, it's so blurry!)


Cool jungle path at The San Diego Zoo
The newest addition! (Don't mind the messy table and dirty floors, I was just so excited about our  awesome new couch!)

No comments:

Post a Comment