Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Copycat Couscous Salad

While honeymooning in San Diego, we went to the upscale, open air, Fashion Valley Mall. Better than the Mac store or the world's (seemingly) largest Forever 21, was the food court. I should preface. I typically dislike the mall and especially the overpriced processed garbage that they serve in the food court. So to my surprise, there were a ton of delicious healthy options in the mall food court here. I guess they care more about that kind of thing in California than the Midwest?

Husband got Panda Express, I ate from a modern Mediterranean place called Cafe Socrates. I ordered the cous cous salad, and it was so delicious! I've been craving it since I got home from vacation. I found their website and a menu with the description of the dish. Basically it's Feta, olives, garbanzo beans, golden raisins, sun dried tomatoes, and red bell pepper served with couscous. Using the food processor we got as a wedding gift, I set out to recreate this yummy dish.





Copycat Couscous Salad

Ingredients:
3/4 C. Whole grain couscous
1 Medium red bell pepper
2 TBSP Sun dried tomatoes (about 3)
3 Large pitted whole Kalmata olives
3-4 basil leaves (I used 1 TBSP dried basil)
2 TBSP Golden raisins (You can use regular raisins too)
1 C. Low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C. Feta cheese crumbles
1 TBSP Extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

Directions:
1. Prepare couscous as directed. (My package said to boil 1 C. water, add couscous, remove from heat, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. I did not add salt or butter.)




2. While couscous is cooking, cut bell pepper into quarters and add to food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds

3. Add sun dried tomatoes, olives, basil leaves, raisins, garbanzo beans, and Feta and pulse for another 30 seconds.



4. Add olive oil and lemon juice. Mix lightly with spoon.
5. Microwave veggie mix for 1 minute to warm. Add to couscous.
6. Serve immediately.

(4 servings)
Calories: 268   Fat: 7g   Protein: 11g   Carbs: 41g   Sodium: 345g   Fiber: 7g   Sugar: 16g



I had a a couple triangles of whole wheat pita bread and a tablespoon of hummus with mine just like they served it at the restaurant. My total meal came in at 323 calories. The protein and fiber kept me full all afternoon and the carbs were great for my afternoon run. The best part is, it reminds me of one of my favorite meals from our honeymoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment