Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Unlivable Living Room

It's bad. Very bad. Very wrong. I cannot continue to live in this....



Not the mess - the wall color! Here's another view in case you didn't get enough of it the first time around:



Ew! 6 hours of prepping, cutting in, moving dropcloths, climbing ladders, rolling paint with the world's worst roller, and 2 coats of "the sexiest sexy tan", almost all by myself. No offense if you really like buttery yellows, but this color gives me hives. 

When fiance and I painted the kitchen, we spent 3 days arguing deciding on the perfect paint colors. It took us only a half hour while eating pizza and watching Casper (Don't judge!) to pick Sensible Hue by Behr. Fiance insisted on a "sexy tan" and I wanted a warm color since I was so tired of the blue gray that had been on the walls for 3 1/2 years. Sensible Hue had us at hello. 

The morning of, I decided to stop at Sherwin Williams just to make sure that there wasn't another color I liked a little better. Sure enough, there was! I grabbed a swatch of Ivoire and went over to Home Depot to check on Sensible Hue. When I compared the two colors, the Ivoire seemed to have a little more brown in it. So I cheated and had Home Depot color match Ivoire. 

Once I got home, I took a four hour nap, and then got to work. (I ran 7 miles in 35 degree cold at 7am on a Saturday, I earned that nap!) The first coat went on and even though the gray still showed through, I knew it was a miss. Fiance came home from work and helped me finish up the 2nd coat - we wanted to give it the chance to prove itself to us yet. 


Sadly, Ivoire could not redeem itself. I think it actually got worse as it dried. I couldn't believe how yellow it looked, I had purposely changed colors to get something a little more brown - thank goodness we didn't go with Sensible Hue! The next morning, I taped up the swatch of Ivoire to the wall and, sure enough, the color match was way off.


Ivoire is 2nd from the top.
I had planned on going back to Home Depot and asking for a new gallon of paint, but the more I thought about it, even the right color match would still be too yellow. So we're going back to the drawing board. I'm think about Behr's Country Beige or Sherwin Williams' Wool Skein, another color I thought I'd like based on some pictures I saw while Googling was Sherwin Williams Ancient Marble although it may be a little more gray and we really don't want to go back to gray! I'll try to post pictures of the new and improved paint color as soon as the winner is chosen.

Which would you pick? 

No comments:

Post a Comment