Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Newest Normal

When I was in high school. I was in marching band. I was actually in colorguard. And I was actually the captain. Incidentally, I was a huge geek. I would live for Saturdays which we spent driving for hours on a school bus to the middle-of-nowhere Illinois to perform a 10-12 minute "show" on a "football" field and then wait all day watching other bands and waiting for the awards ceremony - in which we'd win most everything but "Best Colorguard". No joke, and it was still the highlight of my existence.

One of my fondest memories was realizing there was a town in middle-of-nowhere Illinois called "Normal". We had plenty of jokes about how boring it'd be to live in Normal. Go to Normal high school and work at the Normal grocery store. Order pizza from the Normal pizza place and go bowling at the Normal lanes. Who would have thought that 11 years later I'd love "normal" so much. Not the city, my life. 

I've been through plenty of changes and I always look forward to settling in a little bit. I love predictability and routine. I am so type A it's ridiculous. In the past 12 months I've gotten engaged and married, begun to share my our home with Husband, changed up half the decor in the house, and gotten a new job. I think I've met my quota of new for the year! 

One of the best things I've done to ease the transitions was to carve out a space for myself in our home. Meet my office!




It's come a long way since it's humble beginnings. First it was a library. (Because I was a teacher with summers off and time to read books!)


Then it was an art studio. (Because I was under-employed and had free time and thought I'd be a crafter and sell things on etsy.) 



I should mention that my art studio was inspired by my mom's cousin's art studio in her former home in Michigan. How gorgeous is this place!?



After it was an art studio, it was a mess. (Because I had started working full time and didn't have to read, craft, or clean apparently.)



Then it became an under used office. I was living in a 3 bedroom home by myself and just needed to clean it up, but to be honest, I spent zero time in here.

Now that I'm married, my office has become my getaway. Husband is watching (another) movie I don't care to watch? I hang out in my office and watch Eat Pray Love. Time to reconcile our finances? I've got a nice clear desk to sit at in a quiet room. Wrapping a gift for someone? There are a few boxes of gift bags and cards on shelves nearby. It is was perfect. 

At my previous job, with my one hour lunches, I got a lot of those things done at work. The finances, the meal planning, mailing things out, and even sometimes blogging. My new job doesn't afford me those luxuries. (And I'm not complaining!) I have a more condensed work day, and less access to my personal responsibilities. 

So my office once again is in need of a facelift. I'm going to try to commit to something here, and I need you all to hold me accountable. I need to make this space fit my new needs and wants and I want this baby wrapped up before the holidays. (Because by then I'd much rather be posting about Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas decorations!) I'd love to hear any suggestions or advice you have!

Before:



After:

TBD!

No comments:

Post a Comment